Frequently Asked Questions
Many of the questions you may have regarding our programs and services might be answered here for you.
We offer skills-based educational programs for children, youth, adults and their caregivers. We focus on disruptive behaviours, anxiety & depression concerns, and nighttime bedwetting. For more detailed information about our programs please click here.
- Parents Empowering Kids is for caregivers of children between the ages of 3 and 12 years old.
- Chase Worries Away is for caregivers and children between the ages of 6 and 11 years old.
- Defeat Anxiety is for youth and caregivers between the ages of 12 and 17 years old.
- Dry Nights Ahead is for caregivers of children between the ages of 6 and 12 years old.
- ICAN Anxiety & Depression Adults 18+
** Considerations are made for each age group based on a per cases basis
- Problems should be present for at least 6 months or longer and these problems should be having some type of effect on your family, your child/youth’s schooling and/or relationships and daily life as well as adult relationships and daily life. **However, due to COVID19, we are waiving our usual 6-month timeline and making programs accessible for all presenting conditions.
- Meet the age requirements for our programs
- Parent/Youth must be able to commit to weekly phone calls and completion of weekly exercises/review of material for 4-5 months.
- Adults in the ICAN Program must be able to commit to weekly phone calls and completion of weekly exercises/review of material for eight (8) weeks.
Strongest Families programs were developed by a team of professionals who considered cultural diversity. Strongest Families staff receive ongoing training to understand and support a variety of cultural traditions.
Strongest Families programs and materials are provided with no cost to clients. We provide a toll-free number so there are no costs associated with calls. As we are a phone-based service you do not need to travel or pay for parking costs.
Strongest Families will never expect or request you to take time off work or to remove your child from school to attend a phone appointment. Our staff will work with you to ensure that your family and your schedule are being accommodated. Our staff provide appointment times in the morning, afternoon and evening to ensure you receive excellent care at times convenient to you.
We are continuing to expand into new areas of Canada and around the world. Give us a call, or email us, and we can contact you if we receive funding for your area. You can also advocate for Strongest Families services in your area by contacting your local Member of Parliament or other government official. In the meantime, contact your local mental health agency or family doctor for information on services that are available in your area.
- We will contact you within 24-48 business hours after receiving your referral to book our intake screening phone appointment. If you self referred online, you can complete your initial screening questionnaire at your earliest convenience.
- The intake screening questionnaire will take approximately 30 minutes and you will be asked a variety of questions about you, and or, your child and family, to ensure we have detailed information about your current concerns.
- Once accepted to a program, you will be assigned a telephone coach based on your best available times to complete 45 minute weekly calls. Your coach will contact you to book a consent appointment which will go into further detail about the specific program requirements so you can make an informed decision to move forward with services.
- Once consent is complete, your coach will send you program materials and schedule your weekly telephone sessions for the next 12-14 weeks or 8 weeks for the Adult ICAN program.
- You should begin services with Strongest Families within 3 weeks of completing your intake screening questionnaire.
The Parents Empowering Kids program is a positive parenting program meant to target the way in which you respond to, and interact with, your child to improve his/her behaviour. Your coach will help you include your child in discussions at home where his/her interaction is required.
We accept children and youth with and without diagnoses. Our programs are proven to be effective despite these diagnoses when caregivers and youth are committed to learning and using the strategies consistently. Your coach will have additional training to support a variety of diagnoses and modify the program to fit your family.
Coaches are highly trained and capable para-professionals who receive extensive training in the Strongest Families educational programs and coaching protocols. Coaches are certified according to Strongest Families Institute’s competency expectations. They participant in ongoing training to improve common mental health issues, cultural sensitivity, and unique family circumstances.
Coaches have varied educational backgrounds. Many of the coaches have past and present volunteer and work experience with children, youth and families. Coaches work closely with a supervisor to ensure clients are receiving the utmost care. If challenges arise throughout the program, there is a health clinician they consult with. Research conducted by Drs. Pottie and McGrath shows that adults report very strong relationships with their telephone support coach. Learn more about our Coaches
Although we encourage all caregivers to take part in the program and implement the strategies consistently, it is not a requirement. If you are committed to practicing our strategies daily and to making every appointment you will see improvement. We ask that one caregiver commits to the weekly calls while others may join when able.
We require that one parent act as a “primary contact” and be available at every weekly appointment. We understand that parenting is a shared responsibility and because of this we highly encourage both of you to be on every phone call. It is important that the same parent be present weekly for consistency and to help facilitate scheduling to avoid delays.
Similar to a doctor’s office, we require 24 hours notice to reschedule an appointment. With advanced notice, your coach can work with you and plan around your vacation. Your coach can help to set you up with goals while you are away to ensure continued success and improvement.
Children, youth, families and adults who complete Strongest Families Programs, show dramatic improvements in their anxiety and behaviour challenges. In fact, at least 85% of families report their challenges as resolved.
- Strongest Families programs do not have a wait-list whereas other services and clinics may have a wait list of months to years. We can also support you through our services to help manage behaviour and anxiety concerns while you are on a wait list for other services.
- Strongest Families is exceptionally convenient. The programs are telephone-based and scheduled around your availability. You will not need to take time off work or have your child/children take a day off school. You will not need to travel or find/hire childcare.
- The social stigma of receiving other services is eliminated as Strongest Families programs are offered in the comfort and privacy of your own home.
- You are provided with a coach that will help set specific goals with your family to target your concerns. They will be available to you via telephone and e-mail if you ever have any questions between appointments. Your coach is a knowledgeable and highly trained individual that will support your family as you learn to overcome the challenges you are presented with.
Our services are provided over the telephone and/or online. Clients can choose to receive program materials online or receive handbooks in the mail.
- Parents Empowering Kids, Defeat Anxiety, and ICAN programs are offered as one-on-one and group services.
- Chase Worries Away program is offered as a one-on-one service.
- Dry Nights Ahead is a group-based service.
All of our programs are offered in both English and French.
Our program materials are written at a grade 5 level in hopes to accommodate a wide range of caregivers including EAL/ESL families. Your coach will be knowledgeable, friendly, and more than happy to explain the material in different ways to help you better understand it.
We are happy to provide materials to share with you. Please forward your email and we’d be happy to send a PDF copy of our pamphlet.
"It is crazy how much this program works. I remember going to my pediatrician and saying ‘I can’t go on like this, I am at my wit’s end’. I wish someone would have told me about this program a year ago”
Parent of a 7yo male