The Adult ICAN (Conquer Anxiety and Nervousness) Anxiety program (ages 18+) is designed to help you learn skills to control, face and deal with your anxiety. You will learn skills to use daily, to help you overcome your anxiety and deal with major life stressors.
This educational program is based on a Cognitive Behavioural approach. A Cognitive Behaviour approach changes negative ways of thinking and behaving and provides new, more effective ways of thinking and behaving. Program materials include a handbook or online access to written material, positive notes, videos, trackers, Supporter Information and Audio. You will have the choice of weekly telephone support through either one-on-one coaching or through our group-based program with other adults who share similar challenges. The program is available in English and French.
Signs that you may have anxiety:
- Avoidance of anxiety-causing situations that you normally enjoy (e.g., spending time with friends/family, activities)
- Stomach aches and headaches before events, activities, social situations
- Panic attacks, sweaty hands/body, fidgety
- Inability to focus, lack of attention, and/or withdrawal
- Negative self-talk and negative thought patterns
What is anxiety?
Anxiety is the unpleasant feeling or signs of nervousness, stress or worry when there is real or imagined danger nearby. Anxiety is a natural part of life. It is normal to feel anxious or nervous when facing certain situations. Anxiety or worry that lasts a short while and does not interfere with daily life and activities, is considered normal.
When is anxiety a problem?
We know anxiety is a problem when a person gets intense, longer-lasting anxiety feelings towards a situation that is not a danger or threat. This can be scary and can result in people avoiding doing certain activities or going to certain places. Anxiety is a problem if it interferes with life and enjoyment. This is when you should seek help.
"This program helped me to realize what I never realized before. Anxiety was stopping me I'm doing things I always dreamed of! They taught me skills and tools to use to understand and recognize the triggers. I feel so empowered now!
Each Week You Will:
- Talk with your coach on the phone
- Read the material
- Watch videos and listen to audios
- Practice and use the skills taught
- Complete appropriate paperwork exercises
- Use your skills in real-life situations
Each Week We Will:
- Call you over the next 8 weeks
- Review your skill information with you
- Review your materials
- Help you learn new skills
- Practice skills with you
- Problem-solve with you
- Answer any questions
- Encourage and support you
- Follow up to ensure you have achieved the desired results
What you will look for in a supporter:
- Help and Encourage you
To directly self refer to our coached ICAN Program please complete our intake form HERE (must be a resident of PEI, NL, Northern Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories or Military/Veteran)
If you have any questions about your eligibility for this program and/or if you reside in a funded area, please email email@example.com, view our Service Availability Map, or call toll-free, 1-866-470-7111